What you'll need to make firework cookies;
- star or sunburst cookie cutters
- 15 count royal icing in red, white, blue, yellow and a dark midnight blue for the base.
- To start, cut the dough with the star cutter. Then rotate the cutter, center it, and cut again.
- Remove all the outer pieces of dough and the remaining center will be a sunburst!
- Outline and fill the cookies with midnight blue icing and allow the base to dry for several hours or overnight.
- Choose a spot that will be the center of the firework burst and pipe gentle curves to the outer points of the cookie.
- Finish the cookies by piping little stars here and there. If you are uncomfortable piping the stars directly on the cookie you can pipe them on wax paper and let them dry. Then you can choose the best stars and "glue" them to the cookie with a dot of icing.
That's all there is to it! The firework cookies look great on their own or make fun accents to other 4th of July cookies. You can visit this post for a tutorial on making the firework rockets.
I know a lot of people will be starting the Holiday early today. Stay safe and enjoy your weekend!