To make these cookies you will need:
- the sitting bear cookie cutter from the Wilton Baby Theme Cookie Cutter Set
- white royal icing in a stiff piping consistency, a 15-20 count consistency, and a thinner flood consistency.
- black and red 15-20 count royal icing.
- I made royal icing transfers for the Coca-Cola bottle and the red ball but cola flavored gummy candies are just the right size too!
- For steps 1 and 2 outline the head and body of the polar bear with piping icing and flood.
- When the base has dried for several hours add the ears and muzzle in 20 count royal icing and let the cookies dry overnight.
- Use a dot of icing to attach a dried Cola bottle icing transfer or gummi candy to the belly of the bear. Outline the head, body, arms and feet in a sloppy jagged line with the stiff royal icing to create a "furry" edge. You can use a toothpick to pull some of the lines into little points here and there to add to the texture.
- Finish the cookies by adding face details in black royal icing and add the pads to the feet in 20 count icing.
I used the same general process as above to make the bear faces. I cut the faces using a standing bear cookie cutter from the Wilton 101 Cookie Cutter Set. I then either trimmed the head with a round cookie cutter for some of the bear faces or hand cut the scarf for the others.
These were such a fun set to make! We're really starting to get into the swing of the holiday season and I hope you are enjoying it!
(As a side note; the Coca-Cola polar bears, the famous green bottle and the wave logo are trademarked by the Coca-Cola bottling company. You should only make these cookies for fun and to share with your friends and family!)