The next installment of the Star Trek movie reboot series is coming out in a couple of weeks and I for one am looking forward to it because the first one was so good! Writer/director J.J.Abrams did a great job of taking the series in a new direction while still preserving the original series. So much so that Disney went and hired him to direct the new Star Wars trilogy coming in 2015! Woot! I figured that deserved a Star Trek/Star Wars cookie mashup!. The design for the characters came from these super cute cartoon versions of the Star Trek guys called Quogs and then I gave them the Star Wars treatment. It was kind of surprising how well both casts melded together.
Spock as Obi-Wan Kenobi is a no-brainer. In the Star Trek reboot Chekov is a wunderkind so he gets to be Luke.
Kirk as Han Solo of course and a Chewie tribble (mmm...tasty).
Even if Princess Leia and Uhura weren't the only girls it would still be a good fit because they are both a little sassy.
Dr. McCoy as C3PO and Scotty as R2D2. I think Scotty "R2D2" is my favorite of the group!
Sulu as a Rebel Pilot. Okay I can't decide if I like Scotty or Sulu best but it's definitely one or them!
And a random old school Klingon as Darth Vader (helmet hair!)
Cookies like this are somewhat complicated and time consuming, for me anyway, and I don't really have a tutorial for them but I'll lay the steps out for you.
- I made a few adjustments to the Star Trek Quogs in Photoshop and then printed them at the actual size the cookies were going to be. I drew the Star Wars costumes over my printout, traced their general shape to a template and hand cut the cookie dough.
- I used my iPad and the Camera Lucida app to take a picture of my drawings and then "project" them onto the cookie to trace. (you can see a detailed post about drawing with the ipad here)
- Next I piped over my drawing and filled in the shapes
- And finally I added all the little details.
For more Star Trek/Star Wars cookie goodness check out these other cookie artists;
- Upon the announcement that Disney would be making the new Star Wars trilogy Mike at SemiSweetDesigns made an amazing set of cookies starring Micky and friends! He also has a super cute Ewok cookie tutorial!
- Callye of SweetSugarBelle shows you how to make Star Wars cookies from Christmas cutters and Spock Cookies too!
- Georganne of LilaLoa tells the silliest stories with her Star Wars cookies
- One of my favorite cookie artists, Jill of the Funky Cookie Studio, makes everything awesome like these Star Trek cookies.
Enjoy your weekend and May the Fourth be With You!